FAQs About Voting

  • Where can I find voter information for Minnesota?
  • Where can I find my polling place?
  • What are the voter requirements?
    • You must be:
      • At least 18 years old on Election Day
      • A U.S. citizen
      • A resident of Minnesota for 20 days
      • Finished with all parts of any felony sentence
      • You can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked your right to vote
      • You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.
  • When can I vote on election day?
    • Most polling places will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. A few township polling places will open at 10:00 a.m. Check with your town clerk for details.
  • But I have to work…
    • Minnesota law allows you to take time off from work to vote during the morning of the state primary and state general election. The idea is to encourage people to vote early in the day.
  • How do I register to vote?
    • You need to be on the official list of voters before you can vote. If you are not already registered, you can add your name to the list by filling out a Voter Registration Application. When you fill out the application, you must give the address where you are living at the time of the election. If you are a student living at school, you can register either at home or at school (but not both!) depending on your residence. It is illegal to vote at a former residence because the new occupants vote there.
      • You can register online here.
      • You can register on paper by
        • Obtaining a form in person at your county voting office
        • Calling the Secretary of State’s office toll-free at 1-877-600-VOTE (8683) and pressing 1 to request a form
        • Downloading a form here. Forms can be downloaded in 11 different languages.
        • NOTE: Mail or drop off your paper application to either your county election office, or to: Secretary of State, 60 Empire Dr., Suite 100, St. Paul, MN 55103.
      • You can still register on election day:
        • If you miss registering before the election, you can still vote by registering on election day at your polling place (see above for how to find your polling place). However, you must provide proof of residence, as well as sign an oath stating that you are eligible to vote in the precinct. You will need:
          • Option 1: One form of current, Minnesota-issued photo ID.
            • Accepted IDs:
              • Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, MN ID card or receipt for any of these
              • A Tribal ID with your name, address, photo and signature
          • Option 2: One form of photo ID plus one supporting document:
            • Accepted IDs:
              • Driver’s license, ID card or learner’s permit issued by any other state
              • US passport
              • US Military ID card
              • Tribal ID card with the name, signature and photo
              • Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card
              • Minnesota high school ID card
            • Accepted Supporting Documents:
              • Residential lease/rental agreement still valid on Election Day
              • Current student fee statement
              • One example of a bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for any of the following:
                1. Phone
                2. TV
                3. Internet service
                4. Solid Waste or sewer services
                5. Electric, gas or water service
                6. Banking or credit card
                7. Rent or mortgage
          • If you have none of the above, a neighbor can vouch for you at the polls.
            • Someone who is registered in the precinct where you live can vouch for you at the polling place. A voter who registers by this method may not confirm the residency of another voter on the day of the same election.
            • If you live in a residential facility, including nursing home, battered women’s shelter, homeless shelter and other licensed facility, an employee can vouch for you at the poll (if the facility has provided the county with a certified list of employees).
          • If you are a college student you can use:
            • a current student fee statement showing your address in the precinct and photo ID card.
            • a student photo ID if a college student housing list or list of students is on file at your polling place.
            • If you are already registered and move within the same precinct, you may re-register at the polling place as well.
  • Registration in Minnesota is permanent.
    • You need to register again only when you change your name or address, or fail to vote in four years.
  • If you need help at the polling place:
    • You can ask for help to read or mark your ballot at the polling place. If you like, you can have a friend do it.
    • All polling places should be fully accessible. Accessible doors and parking spaces should be clearly marked.
    • If you can’t easily leave your car, you can ask for the ballots to be brought out to you in your car.
    • If you are confined due to illness or disability, you can vote by absentee ballot. Call your county auditor or city clerk for details. See blue telephone pages for such numbers.
    • If you have limited vision, you may ask your county auditor for voter registration and absentee ballot instructions in large print or on cassette tape.
    • If you are hearing impaired, every county and most cities will have a TDD device for questions.
  • Other ways to vote:
    • Vote Early (Absentee)
      • In Minnesota, you can vote early with an absentee ballot starting 46 days before Election Day. Ballots can be cast early by mail or in person at your county voting office.
    • Vote from Military or Abroad
  • For further information:
    • Please call the Election Division of the Minnesota Secretary of State, 1-877-600-VOTE (8683)
    • You may also call your County Auditor or City Clerk. Find that office here.

Comments are closed.